Caravan Holidays Travel And Freedom
If you like to travel but you like even more the feeling of freedom, the solution is obvious: a caravan. Long ago travelling by caravan meant giving up your comfort, nowadays this is not an issue. The ‘home on wheels’ gives you the wonderful feeling of freedom and security unique as well as all the comfort you need.
The desire for freedom, the atmosphere associated with the caravan hitched up to the back of the car and the smell of food cooked in the warm air of a beach campsite are the elements that make people love this way of holidaying and travelling.
No matter if the taste for travelling by caravans was raised by the memories of the excitement of arriving at the campsite when you were a child or by the need of coming back to the roots when people where travelling free, the enthusiasm of caravanners is infectious. The caravan offers a return to simpler holiday pleasures.
By returning to the origins of caravans and caravanning, you can find this way of travelling at gypsies and showmen who spent most of their lives in horse drawn caravans. Another historic fact for the story of caravans is that the world’s first leisure caravan was built by the Bristol Carriage Company in 1880 for Dr. W. Gordon-Stables. It was an 18 ft design, based upon their Bible Wagons, which the Doctor named “Wanderer”.
Now anybody can buy a modern caravan. Of course there are different sizes, from tiny two-berth caravans with no toilet and only basic kitchen facilities, to large, twin-axle, six-berth caravans with all the luxuries of a four-star hotel.
In the last 2-3 years the popularity of caravans and caravanning increased in the UK, maybe due to the excellent summer weather, the fear of travelling abroad due to worries over terrorism, large increases in house prices, which provided people with the ability to raise capital by re-mortgaging their homes or just the need for a simpler holiday and more freedom. No doubt one of the reasons for the growth in popularity of caravanning has also been enhanced by the improvements in quality and facilities making caravan holidays possible at any time of the year not just summer months.
The features of a typical mid-range, modern caravan should be: Gas/Electric powered refrigerator, Gas/Electric powered stove, oven and grill, Gas/Electric powered water heater, one or more beds, some of which double-up as daytime seating, electricity supplied by battery or external hookup, toilet with removable disposal tank and flush-water tank, shower, Radio, TV aerial/satellite dish. They may also contain the following: Air, External barbecue points, Tow hitch stabilizers, CD players, awning or screen room, clothes washer and dryer, microwave.
Fulltime Rv Living Choosing The Best Mobile Accommodation
Be it suburbia or the outdoors, lifestyle is very much influenced by our personality, our needs, and — perhaps most of all — our budget. Fortunately, in affluent countries like Australia, the diverse range of mobile accommodation options allows us to travel virtually anywhere we choose both comfortably and economically.
What suits me, though, is not necessarily going to be your first choice, nor are your preferences likely to match those of your close friends or relatives. Result is, all segments of the camping and RV markets are doing quite nicely.
Of course, at the budget end of the accommodation spectrum, tents are always high on the short-list of options, particularly for lovers of true outdoor freedom. On the other hand there are those who simply must have a few creature comforts, while still maintaining some degree of independence. This latter group is likely to opt for either a fully appointed caravan/travel trailer, or motorhome.
For the rest of us, somewhere along that cost/comfort scale our ideal niche is there to be found. Keep in mind, however, “ideal” is really a sneaky way of saying “acceptable compromise”. After all, no matter what your choice — tent, tent trailer, camper trailer, caravan, campervan, or motorhome — compromise will be necessary between the key deciding factors of cost, comfort, self-sufficiency and mobility. The trap is, only you can balance that mix!
Nevertheless, to help you identify your personal niche, here are a few of the essential differences between the popular options among nomadic travellers today:
Camping under canvas has always attracted a strong (and growing) band of devotees. Tents are relatively inexpensive, available in a vast range of sizes and complexities, and allow the outdoor lover to retain complete freedom, flexibility and mobility.
With tenting, though, the biggest drawbacks are the time it takes to get your camp set up, and the relative vulnerability to weather extremes. Together with sleeping, cooking and other equipment, a lot of vehicle space is required, and frequent changes of location become quite a chore with daily set-ups and pack-ups.
Moving up the budgetary scale, tent trailers might be your next consideration. These are essentially a small trailer with a built-on, collapsible frame-tent. Generally, they are more robust than regular tents, far easier to erect, and your bed (and some floor area) is raised above the ground. With a raft of optional awnings and add-ons, a tent trailer can become a canvas castle!
Keep in mind, though, towing a trailer of any kind does impact, to some degree, on campsite accessability, although heavy-duty and “off-road” models minimise this effect (especially if towed by a 4×4).
Another advantage is the freeing up of most of your vehicle load space, although you should also anticipate a quantum jump up the financial scale. (But if you already own a sturdy box-trailer, it may be adaptable.)
Even a low-spec camper trailer represents a further — significant! — hike in potential outlay over tent trailers (though the huge second-hand market is worth exploring). Even so, you stand to gain a considerable boost in comfort levels, particularly for long-term camps or extended touring.
Certainly, camper trailers still require setting up in camp, but this is a fairly quick and painless operation. Towing, too, remains reasonably stress-free considering their low profile and lighter weight compared with full-size caravans. Even so, bush mobility and manoeuvrability does suffer over tent or tent trailer outfits. And don’t forget those extra costs, such as insurance, registration, and increased fuel consumption.
For long-term or fulltime nomadic lifestyles, a full-size motorhome provides optimum comfort, convenience and all-round security. No towing is involved, while driving and parking is a breeze (except in very narrow streets and parking lots). Making camp, and moving off in the morning, is the easiest of all possible options.
Their main disadvantage is the high cost (in motorhome rather than campervan configuration), and the fact that every time you move — even to the store for milk or bread — you have to pack-up your “home”. And if repairs become necessary out on the road, you may be faced with motel costs.
Little brother of the motorhome, the campervan, has a similar set of pros and cons but is far less expensive to buy and operate, and considerably easier to get about in. For two people they represent an excellent all-round compromose for long-term touring, but get very “tight around the shoulders” for a fulltime lifestyle.
For the best balance of all between space, comfort and security, it’s hard to beat a reasonable size caravan/travel trailer. For lengthy stays at a “base camp”, while getting out and about in your car or 4×4, they are ideal. There are sizes, makes and models to suit most family needs and all budgets. And the pre-loved market is endless.
Here again, though, mobility on backtracks can be greatly curtailed (even with some of the 4×4-rated rigs), and generally speaking, driving is more tiring, costly and slower. Visits to major towns, with tricky parking or tight turn-arounds, often become a real pain in the tailpipe.
So what do I recommend? Well, unfortunately there’s no simple answer! For example, depending on our plans, our camping and travelling alternates between lightweight touring (sleeping in our 4×4), and towing our home — a 16 foot caravan. Every so often, we use a canvas tent for lengthier bush camps while visiting the high country.
To my mind, there is no “one-size-fits-all” solution. But if you’re planning to embark on a fulltime traveling lifestyle, my advice would be to identify — and carefully examine — your personal needs and aspirations, then set yourself up to suit the destinations and activities of most interest.
Best part is, you have plenty of options.
- 23 luxury Jayco Rv Corporate Office
- Jayco Eagle Trailer With Popular Photo
- Book Of Jayco Eagle Images In Australia By Sophia
- 28 beautiful Winnebago Industries Inc
- Lotus Caravans Australia With Brilliant Inspiration
- Jayco Rv Calgary With Amazing Inspiration
- Jayco Swift For Sale With Unique Minimalist
- 27 popular Jayco Swan Hire Brisbane
- Jayco Rv Electrical With Awesome Images In Uk
- Winnebago View Navion : Simple Purple Winnebago View Navion Innovation
- Book Of Toyota Minivan Wiki In Ireland By Jacob
- Book Of Winnebago For Sale Newcastle Nsw In Spain By Emma
- Book Of Jayco Caravans With Slide Outs In Thailand By Sophia
- 23 wonderful Jayco Swan Roof Supports
- New Age Caravans Pty Ltd : Creative Brown New Age Caravans Pty Ltd Images
- 27 amazing Winnebago View Vs Trend
- 28 luxury Toyota Minibus Dimensions
- Winnebago Micro Minnie 2106fbs For Sale With Elegant Style
- 25 model 2001 Winnebago Adventurer
- Jayco Lift System Diagram : Cool Yellow Jayco Lift System Diagram Trend
- Winnebago Minnie Winnie 26a With Luxury Minimalist
- Winnebago Adventurer Specs : Lastest Black Winnebago Adventurer Specs Creativity
- 28 wonderful 2002 Jayco Eagle 5th Wheel
- Winnebago For Sale Cairns : Fantastic Gray Winnebago For Sale Cairns Image
- Jayco Starcraft Slide Out : Cool Pink Jayco Starcraft Slide Out Creativity
- Winnebago Alpine Isuzu With Unique Innovation In Us
- Winnebago Micro Minnie Problems With Perfect Inspiration In Spain
- 23 perfect Winnebago Adventurer Gas Mileage
- Book Of Jayco Swan Outback Tow Ball Weight In Ireland By Emily
- Jayco Swan Equivalent With Innovative Creativity In Canada
- 25 amazing Jayco Expanda Water Tank Size
- 22 cool Jayco Eagle Touring Edition
- Winnebago For Sale Gold Coast With Luxury Style
- Jayco Seneca Vs. Gulfstream Endura : Lastest White Jayco Seneca Vs. Gulfstream Endura Creativity
- 22 simple Jayco Eagle Vs Swan
- Jayco Expanda For Sale Perth With Simple Minimalist
- 21 creative Jaycob Curlee Americas Got Talent
- 30 unique Winnebago View Air Conditioner
- 29 model Winnebago Rialta Uk
- Book Of Jayco Alante 26x Forum In Germany By Michael
- 22 popular Jayco Jay Feather 22bhm
- 31 lastest New Age Caravans Melbourne Epping Vic
- 29 beautiful Jayco Swan Inverter
- 21 fantastic Toyota Minivan Images
- 21 innovative Winnebago Aspect Gas Mileage
- 25 perfect Winnebago View 2017
- 25 perfect Winnebago Micro Minnie Accessories
- Book Of Coromal Caravans Parts In Canada By Michael
- 23 new Jayco Rv Owners Club
- 31 model Winnebago View Trailer Wiring
- Jayco Hummingbird Pictures : Creative Pink Jayco Hummingbird Pictures Photos
- Book Of Jayco Jay Feather Accessories In Spain By William
- 29 innovative Winnebago High School
- Winnebago For Sale In Ct With Elegant Inspiration In Ireland
- 26 unique Winnebago Adventurer 37f Reviews
- Jayco Jay Flight Warranty With New Picture
- 26 perfect Jayco Hummingbird Review
- 24 brilliant Jayco Rv Brands
- Winnebago Battery Replacement With Elegant Type
- 30 model Jayco Caravans Canberra
- Book Of Jayco Eagle Light Bulbs In Thailand By Emma
- 24 creative Jayco Eagle Bunkhouse Travel Trailer
- Winnebago Minnie Awning : Awesome Yellow Winnebago Minnie Awning Example
- 22 beautiful Jayco Caravans Coffs
- 29 popular Jayco Expanda Canvas Bed Ends
- 27 model Jaycob Brugman Rotoworld
- 24 simple Toyota Minivan Recall
- Jayco Rv Fifth Wheel Floor Plans With New Inspirational In Canada
- 29 model Jayco Pop Up Camper Canvas
- 30 new Avan Motorhomes Prices
- Winnebago Aspect 23d With Creative Example
- 22 lastest Jayco Jay Flight Slx 174bh
- Jayco Caravans Port Macquarie : Cool Brown Jayco Caravans Port Macquarie Styles
- 27 fantastic Winnebago For Sale Los Angeles
- Jayco Jay Flight Vs White Hawk With Popular Trend
- Jayco Melbourne Interior : Innovative Brown Jayco Melbourne Interior Innovation
- 21 popular Winnebago View Mpg
- Jayco Eagle Water Tank With Beautiful Inspirational
- Old School Winnebago With Brilliant Styles In Singapore
- Book Of Winnebago View Sale Craigslist In Singapore By Olivia
- 21 excellent Toyota Minivan Door Recall
- Jayco Eagle Floor Plan With Cool Trend In India
- Book Of Winnebago Adventurer 38q In Thailand By Emma
- Winnebago Adventurer For Sale With Beautiful Trend In Australia
- 28 amazing Winnebago Minnie Winnie Diesel
- 22 simple New Age Caravans Townsville
- Book Of Jayco Swan Roof Hatch In Singapore By Emily
- 29 new Jayco Accessories Online
- Book Of 2002 Jayco Kiwi In Spain By William
- 29 model Jayco Hummingbird 17rk
- 30 model Winnebago Man Quotes
- Toyota Minivan Vs Honda Minivan : Creative Pink Toyota Minivan Vs Honda Minivan Styles
- 26 original Winnebago Vista Lx 35b For Sale
- 26 lastest Winnebago Minnie Cover
- 25 original Winnebago View Twin Beds
- 26 awesome Winnebago Chieftain Craigslist
- Winnebago Warrior Toyota : Awesome Green Winnebago Warrior Toyota Images
- 26 innovative Jayco Pop Up Camper 2017
- Toyota Minibus For Sale In Japan With Beautiful Styles
- 31 perfect Jayco Expanda Electrical System